Monday 5 June 2017

My fears on my own social responsibility

It's impossible to ignore. The terrorist attacks, bold and unrepentant. The gang deaths. The day to day danger of inhabiting a city. Fighting, threats, a sense of danger that we can surely no longer gloss over.

We  should be looking out for each other, protecting our communities, sheltering the vulnerable. Even away from the extremes of recent events, suffering should not be a currency of abundance. I write these words with so much hope for what the bravery and resourcefulness of humanity can be. I see police, paramedics and others charged with the city's safety, and it's beyond amazing how selfless they are. 

Then I look at myself, and I fear that, though my soul be damned, I would (as would most) hastily step past. I would pray to be unmolested, unseen in the shadows, and allowed to continue my life without the same foul trauma I witnessed befalling me.

I would see the marks of abuse and I would move my eyes to another smooth patch of skin. I would hear the pitiful cries of a hound kept under the baking sun, with no water,  and I would make excuses for the beast's owner. I would watch a thief slip their hand into a purse like a silent snake, and I would freeze and stare and wonder what to do. I would see murder, mugging, rape and all things unconscionable, yet my arms would remain limp and my tongue still.

In the light, amongst the laughter of friends, I would boast of my bravery. As they would of theirs. And we would gift each other false echoes of our virtuosity, each understanding our true stance, but shying from voicing those truths in case a higher power discovers our wickedness. 

And whilst we relate falsehoods, those we claim to be willing to protect sink further into despair, unaware that anyone even noticed their plight at all.

All I can do is try to be better.

Flatt7

No comments:

Post a Comment