Sunday 17 December 2017

Focusing back on the world

Experience with St John Ambulance

So, many of you who read me semi regularly (or know me in person) might know that I’ve achieved the dream I’ve been working towards for many years – to start my studies on the road to becoming a paramedic. I’ve made arrangements so that I can support myself financially, I’ve upgraded my mathematics qualification to the required level, I applied and interviewed…and I was accepted. I CAN’T believe it. My head stills reels every time I step into a classroom in my university as an accepted student there. I have had the opportunity to learn so much in just three short months, and have even been out on non-emergency placements. My next big dream, of course, is to pass this course, learn all I can, achieve the next step of qualifying as a paramedic. That’s my main focus.


Nature

But, another focus is coming into view for me as well. As I approach the beginning of another year of learning, I realise that I miss something I had often enough that I forgot to appreciate it. The freedom to travel. To see the world, to feel cold snow on my face at a thousand plus metres, the thrill of footsteps in a place I have never walked before, a language I have never heard spoken, friends laughing and exploring with me. I realise how much of this past year I have, out of necessity, spent in the city environment. My runs in as deep a wood as you can find in this city were almost entirely my wilderness escapes that kept me feeling sane and free. But I miss the bigger part of travel and exploring the world.

A hike in Skye

This past month I have dug up a lot of my old travel and adventure videos and put them up on my largely defunct YouTube account. I have even made a couple of vlogs reminiscing on old times of travel, a process which I find both enjoyable and cathartic even if nobody else finds them interesting. And it’s inspired me! I want to feel that mental freedom again. Build up my strength, experience, knowledge and see the world before it’s too late to see it in the way I want to. I want to see it whilst I’m out of my comfort zone and pushing myself forward. I’ve made plans and reservations, and I’m beyond excited!

Wanderlust

I’m going to do it.


Flatt7

No comments:

Post a Comment